Carol R. Eaton Designs

Carol R. Eaton Designs

FABRIC FOR SALE: click on pages below!

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Combining Techniques = Dye, Fabric Paint & Ice Cubes!

I started with a lovely piece of cotton dyed Robin's Egg blue. 

I misted the fabric and then painted purple across the surface.
I scrunched the fabric and placed ice cubes randomly in the folds. I added a small amount of salt to help create even more texture. 
Here you can see how the melting ice cube pushes the fabric paint around. 
Shortly after the fabric was all set to melt in the sun the clouds rolled in and it started to drizzle. I should have remembered to check the forecast! 
It eventually dried! Because the ice melts slowly (even when its not raining!) the fabric paint has time to move around and pool up forming unique patterns. 
The fabric has a 2D look with the paint feathering out in delicate patterns. 
Give it a try and let me know how you make out! 

3 comments:

  1. I really have to try ice cubes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool experiment! Who knew that the paint would move from where it was painted!

    ReplyDelete