Carol R. Eaton Designs

Carol R. Eaton Designs

FABRIC FOR SALE: click on pages below!

Monday, April 2, 2012

Completing Unfinsihed Pieces - My New Goal!

I have always been the type of artist to complete every project even if I've lost interest in the piece. I would allow myself to start a new piece but not jump in feet first until whatever I was working on was done... so how the heck did I end up with a design wall full of completed tops patiently waiting to be quilted?! I think it has something to do with my love of surface design and having so many ideas that need to be tried I abandoned my design wall! So my new goal is to clean up my design wall and resist dying, painting or embellishing fabric in any way until my studio is cleaned up!

Over the weekend I completed two small pieces;
 "Come Sit Down" and "Waiting for Babies".  

Come Sit Down


Come Sit Down combines many techniques. The base fabric is hand dyed silk gauze. The garden was created using the needle felting technique and is all wool. I embroidered garden details to create depth.


The chair and arbor are appliqued cotton and the border is made using the batik method and then discharged.

Waiting For Babies


This is actually a challenge piece from the Connecticut Fiber Arts Collective for our upcoming one year anniversary. Each member was given a brown paper bag and everyone contributed something to it (fondly called the brown bag challenge!). The last photo below shows the final bag contents. The finished piece needed to be 12" X 12" and we were allowed to add fabrics to the pile but had to incorporate what was supplied.  


 

I used the snippet technique as well as applique. The provided fabric was snipped into little pieces and arranged until I was satisfied with the design. The burlap was pulled apart and colored with Sharpie markers. The markers were fun and I also colored the buttons and tulle. The background fabric is hand painted and the bird coloring was created using the discharge method. The groups official unveiling is in May and I can't wait to see the unique way each artist approached the challenge!


Here is the original pile of fabrics and embellishments for the challenge!

Off to complete another piece....

No comments:

Post a Comment