Carol R. Eaton Designs

Carol R. Eaton Designs

FABRIC FOR SALE: click on pages below!

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Fun With Silk & Sharpies!


For the longest time I've been waiting for the right moment to pull out the Silk and Sharpies again! It's a technique that forces you to slow down and embrace the process; until now my life hasn't allowed that luxury! The whole project reminds me of Mark Lipinski as he advocates for the Slow Stitching Movement... enjoy the journey! So... here is the journey! 

The last time I posted about this technique I was mumbling about using a larger piece of silk and wondered how I might stretch the surface. My buddy Julie Booth (the Queen of using practical supplies you already have on hand in surface design!) suggested I use an embroidery hoop --Bingo! I happened to have a large quilter's hoop and it was a fabulous suggestion.
It's all quite simple for such a cool end result! I stretched the silk in the hoop keeping it taunt. Next I colored random dots using permanent Sharpie markers. Now for the magic - using a small tipped squeeze bottle I dropped Isopropyl Alcohol onto the dots. Immediately the marker reacts and starts to spread across the silk. Now for the slowing down part - you need to keep moving the hoop around the surface until the fabric is filled in. TIP: fold the silk in half so you can cover a larger surface with each stretch! The marker will run onto the underside. 
Once I covered the surface and the silk was dry I restretched and dropped more alcohol randomly across the surface. The second round created more depth to the overall design. This piece is 44" X 43" which is by far the largest piece I've done with this technique. I'm definitely going to keep going as it was fun.... slow but fun! 

My next curiosity is in mixing colors and creating circles inside of circles... if anyone has suggestions I'm all in! 

11 comments:

  1. And now I know why I should keep my embroidery hoop! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally had the chance to stop by your blog today...thanks for the shout out...nice to be the Queen of something!!! The results of this technique are so striking. Can't wait to see more experiments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Carol! I have not tried this on silk yet, but will give it a try soon! How do you set the sharpies, with heat? I have some silk on hand I haven't dyed, a hoop and a container full of sharpies, so I'm ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy- I set the Sharpie's with heat and hand rinsed the silk just to be sure the silk was free of any residual odors or chemicals.

      I like the reaction on silk vs cotton - it spreads more quickly! Can't wait to see what you create!

      Delete
    2. Hi Judy, when you say "set it with heat" what does that mean? Could you go over the steps specifically for someone who is new to silk dyeing?

      Delete
  4. I follow your blog regularly,because i get sime knowledge from this:-
    The homes for sale in hastings on hudson article is based on how works are done to come out with so good and new ranges of homes which homes for sale in harrison ny are every popular in across many popular cities. The homes for sale in katonah ny ranges of popular properties are so scale oriented that it has given the correct place or order as Hudson harbor tarrytown followed by the time.

    ReplyDelete