Carol R. Eaton Designs

Carol R. Eaton Designs

FABRIC FOR SALE: click on pages below!

Friday, December 6, 2013

New Combination of Techniques!

I was going for a slightly different look and wondered what would happen if I stamped dye powder onto the fabric surface along with combining other techniques... shaking the dye powder and then covering it all up with ice... crazy huh?!

I'd love for you to give it a try and let me know how you make out!

Here are the tools you'll need to try it for yourself!
Don't forget your MASK - never use dye powder without it!

The fabric was soaked in soda ash and water for 30 minutes before wringing it out and laying on a flat surface. Press the sponge onto the fabric to dampen just enough to allow the dye powder to stick to the sponge... start stamping away!

Next use a mesh kitchen sink strainer to shake the powder
across the surface of the fabric.

Let the fabric set; once it's dry rinse out the excess dye in the sink and wash with a commercial detergent designed to pull out excess dye such as Synthropol.

There was a little more white fabric showing than I wanted so I tossed the fabric back into the soda ash and water solution for 30 minutes. Next I placed the fabric in a bucket covering the surface with ice and then sprinkled with dye powder. Once the ice melted I washed again to remove the excess dye. Here is a detailed shot of the completed piece.

It was fun to try something new!
Please share your experience and let me know if you have questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment