Carol R. Eaton Designs

Carol R. Eaton Designs

FABRIC FOR SALE: click on pages below!

Friday, June 22, 2018

Indigo Dyeing - First Batch of the Season!


There is something special about Indigo. It connects us to a very ancient tradition of dyeing textiles. The traditional indigo recipe is tricky so I chose to use pre-reduced crystals from Dharma - I know my limitations! 
It is very freeing to grab found objects to clamp or tie into the fabric to create a design. I know there are methods for creating very specific designs but I tend to approach loosely with a free spirit. I am happy to experiment and just see what happens!  


These marks were made using old CD's and hotel key cards! 

The crackle look was created using rubber bands. Once the fabric was washed and dried I sprayed the surface with a bleach/water combination to create the fun spots.   


This piece was loosely pleated and rolled with rubber hands to keep it in place! 


I folded and clamped this piece!

The design came out very different in each section of the fabric! 
I'd love to hear about your Indigo dyeing experience! 

To learn more about the ancient traditions I recommend, Indigo - In Search of The Color That Seduced the World, by Catherine E. McKinley. 

I had a group of artists from SAQA over to enjoy the new Indigo vat. We had a great time! SAQA is an organization dedicated to promoting the art quilt and those who create them! To learn more about SAQA I encourage you to click HERE 


Please take a peek at my Etsy Shop where I sell my hand crafted fabrics! 





No comments:

Post a Comment