Carol R. Eaton Designs

Carol R. Eaton Designs

FABRIC FOR SALE: click on pages below!

Monday, November 25, 2013

Thermofax Screen + Decolorant = More Spirals!


I always do this... I get excited about a technique or product and it takes over my thoughts! This is happening with a challenge from The Printed Fabric Bee and my recently designed Thermofax screen. Terri Stegmiller produced the screen and I strongly encourage you to visit her site and explore the other totally awesome products and designs she creates!

I used a decolorant by Jacquard to remove the color with help from the Thermofax screen. The discharge paste is a little thinner than typical fabric screen paint and very easy to use. You place a dollop on the screen and using an old credit card I pulled the paste across the screen. You need to be careful not to drip the paste onto the fabric or the color will come off in unexpected places!
 

The discharge paste needs to be dried completely before you can heat set. It's a little like magic because once the paste dries it becomes invisible. Using a steam iron begin slowly pressing the fabric until the areas with the decolorant start to reappear. The longer you heat set the fabric the stronger the design will be. It was really fun seeing how crisp the colorless spirals looked but after placing it on the design wall for a longer look the fabric needed more action.



Taking Seta Color fabric paints I swirled the paint through the spirals. The fabric was damp to encourage the paint to meander and blend together. Once the fabric was dry I heat set with a dry iron to ensure the paint won't wash. I'm not sure what this fabric will become in it's next life... any ideas?!






6 comments:

  1. This fabric looks so wonderful. I'm sure it's even better in person. Thank you so much, Carol, for your kinds words. You are too sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for helping me with the screens! I have another one in my head...

      Delete
  2. Love it! I have used the discharge paint before, but haven't tried screening it... good idea! And I love the swirl screen... time to go shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yippee... can't wait to see what your creative brain comes up with! Try Terri's Esty site for screens if you're in the market for something new!

      Delete
  3. Got the fabric yesterday...SOOO beautiful! Thanks so much...a great gift of your time!-Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are sooooo welcome! I can't wait to see the full collection!

      Delete